2 sticks margarine, softened
1 cup sugar
5 to 6 cups flour
4 rounded teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Pre-sift together flour and baking powder. Begin with 5 cups.
3. Beat margarine and sugar til creamy. Add eggs one at a time. Add 5 cups pre-sifted flour and baking powder. Add 6th cup of flour if necessary. Add vanilla. Mix well.
4. Roll dough very thin on wooden board with rolling pin.
5. Cut rolled dough into circles with the rim of a glass or a round cookie cutter.
6. Place filling in the middle of the circle - about a scant teaspoon for the small size. If larger circles, use more filling. Pinch the circle to create a three cornered shape.
7. Place on cookie sheet and bake until light brown. Watch your oven - do not over-bake!
1/2 cup Prepared caramel sauce
1. Grate the apple. Squeeze out excess juice.
2. Mix the caramel into the grated apple.
Recipe courtesy of Rabbi Phyllis' great-aunt Dora.